PROPEL Business Growth Program
Cohort 1 is now filled with 13 businesses.
Look for our next Call for Applications!
Do you want to grow your business and have ideas. You now want tools and support to make sure you get results.
Click for PROPEL Business Growth Program Application
The Alliance for Community Development is seeking applications from business owners who want to grow or expand in 2013. This nine month programs starts in the week of January 29, 2013 . The PROPEL program you gives you the principles and tools to define your top growth strategy. Advisers and other resources support you in planning and implementing the strategy. Have the opportunity to present results to the public in October, 2013.
This program is for entrepreneurs and small business owners who want to:
- Develop strategies and practices to sustain growth
- Execute at least one major growth strategy
- Evaluate financing alternatives in the changing economy
During the the nine month program, you will attend half-day sessions to create and act on your strategic growth road map!
- Put your best idea(s) for growth into action immediately
- Learn proven growth strategies and practices in half-day workshops
- Work with a Business Advisor to fine tune your decisions and actions
- Increase the visibility of your business and develop yourself as a leader
Why you should apply:
Graduates of our small business programs have:
- surpassed the $1 million in annual revenue mark at rate 3 times that of the national average for small businesses
- hired new employees, launched new products/services, secured patents, and expanded retail locations
- grow their businesses at a pace they choose
Applicants to this program should be (but we’re flexible):
- Owners in business from 1 – 20+ years with annual sales $100k to $2M
- Start-ups generating revenue (or within the next 6 months)
- Located in the Bay Area with a focus on Alameda, Contra Costa counties
- Diverse leadership inclusive of minorities, women and disabled veterans
How to apply:
Contact us for an interview and request an application at email@example.com
Desired Business lines include: Professional Business Services, Retail Stores, Restaurants, Caterers, Technology services and products with owners who want to retain ownership, sustainability/green companies, Wellness and consumer services, etc.
Who Should Apply or Refer? Great business owners you know with ideas for growth and want to learn:
- Proven strategies and practices to sustain growth to over $1 million and beyond
- Know the right financing alternatives to achieve their growth goals
- Ready to be leaders in their industry and community
- Earned $100,000 – $1,500,000 in revenue in the last two years
Why owners should apply: Nine per cent of the graduates are crossing the $1 million level in revenue and other graduates continue to grow at a pace they can sustain.
What businesses get from the program:
- Plan, develop and launch your number one growth strategy
- Improve financial management of your company
- Receive individual advising sessions monthly with a Business Growth Advisor
- Participate in monthly workshops to develop your proprietary processes
- Identify the appropriate financing options to achieve your goals
- Develop leadership and public visibility
Over nine months implement your growth strategy!
- One half-day or two two-hour workshops per month
- One individual advising session one to two hours to plan and execute the selected growth strategy.
- Quarterly Milestones for all businesses:
- Q1: Research market and identify top growth strategy
- Q2: Plan, validate and develop strategy with market data, customer input and financial forecasting
- Q3: Define scope of business growth strategy to implement and present accomplishments at graduation of a product/service enhancement, marketing/promotion effort or business operating improvement
- Presentation of accomplishments at public graduation celebration
- On-going development and networking events after graduation
- Annual interview and report of progress for at least three years by graduating companies.
How is the Program Unique?
The program introduces owners to the annual strategic cycle successful companies use to sustain or grow a profitable company. The primary goal of the program is to grow successful businesses with diverse leadership. Acquiring financing includes a range of options that should be thoroughly evaluated to successfully obtain funds and then execute successfully.
The program content addresses critical issues facing women, minority and disabled veterans in growing and sustaining a business, including
- Managing Cash Flow and the Balance Sheet (business and family)
- Using proven growth and value creation strategies:
- Identifying and validating growth opportunities
- Diversifying the customer base
- Developing products and packaging services
- Adding revenue streams
- Succession and exit planning
- Developing owners as local leaders and role models
- Supporting ongoing needs of graduates with alumni programs and consulting services
- Access to the Alliance Capital Connections program to seek equity capital if appropriate
Sponsors receive annual quantitative and qualitative reports based on annual graduate interviews.
Successes of Prior Business Growth Cohort Groups Graduating 34 Businesses
- Generated over thirty FTE in sustained jobs in administration, trade and professional services
- One new company was created, Cutting Edge Capital
- The Inspired In-Law Cottage in 2010 and seven new products launched with two patents filed by Cohort 3 in 2011
- Increased cash flow across Oakland from all three cohorts forecast for 2011 of $1.5 million
- Completed two retail businesses expansions in 2011 with immediate increases in gross revenue and new hires
- Completed one successful transfer of ownership of a business to an employee retaining a business in Oakland for over 20 years
- Four companies have acquired loan financing to implement strategies developed in the program
- One owner, Tina “Tamale” Ramos successfully used “crowd funding” to expand her catering business
The program is presented by the Alliance for Community Development a 501(c) (3) non-profit with a mission to increase access to capital for companies with diverse leadership to create jobs and produce social benefits.